Monday, December 14, 2009

Keeping Online Classes Interesting and Students Motivated

To start with, I would like to thank everyone that has posted comments. I realize that it is the end of the semester and you have finals, papers and projects due. I truly appreciate you input.

Reading your comments, if found a tread that I would like hear more of your opinions. While everyone has been supported of quality online classes, it has raised a question How do you keep online classes interesting and students motivated?

SINGINFIFI stated:
“All of the online classes I've ever taken (all for my psych degree, biology didn't offer any) have been the same model: Read a section, post a discussion topic for the class to read, write a paper, get a grade. This isn't nearly as productive as "read a section, show up to class and discuss it". Is this to say that in the future virtual classrooms with interaction couldn't be an effective way for students and teachers to "meet"? Absolutely not. "Face to face" interaction can mean many things, especially with the type of technology we have available.”

AA stated:

“The one hard thing about online classes that I think most would agree on is that you have to maintain a good amount of motivation.”

I know my three daughters and son-in-law do not need any additional motivation to communicate using electronic based technology. For example, over Thanksgiving, having a wonderful time, altogether for the first time in a year, we were all texting and emailing as we enjoyed our time together. Now I use to think that this was a negative behavior, but I have come to realize that it allows us to stay in contact with friends, even when they are miles away. As we all communicated with friends and relatives, we shared their wishes of holiday cheer with those with physically with us.

QUESTION
What do you see as a way to keep students motivated and interested for online classes?

Could this include?

  • Shorter but more frequent posting
  • Live, interactive online sessions
  • Polls and surveys
  • Student initiated discussions
  • Texting
  • Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment