Thursday, December 3, 2009

Everything I Learned About Today's Educational Technology I Learned From My Three Daughters and One Son-In-Law

Everything I learned about using the technology that students want in education I learned from my three daughters and one son-in-law.

I work with several colleges and universities designing online education programs. I discuss with my kids what they like and dislike about online classes, what technology they would like to see for these classes and if their schools are using this technology.

Although I have my doctorate in Educational Technology, Media and Instructional Systems from Teachers College, Columbia University you might think that I know all about technology from my schooling. Not True. When I went to school, I used technology such as film projectors, television and slide tape presentations. Since then, I have managed to learn about some new technologies, such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, Blackboard, the Internet, email and PDAs. But even this does not seem very current. My daughters have tried to get me up-to-date with iPods, iPhones, MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, texting and eBooks.

My daughters have gone to some outstanding schools. Blayze currently attends Florida State University, Alexis graduated from University of Central Florida and Fordham Law School with a JD/MBA, and Ashleigh graduated from Rollins College and is currently working on her MSW at Rutgers University. Ashleigh’s husband, Robbie, graduated from Pittsburg State University, earned a masters degree from NYU and is working on his Ph.D. in psychology at Seton Hall University. My kids and their friends have been my closest connection to how students relate to technology in school, but now I need a much broader population of students with suggestions and ideas.

I would like to expand this discussion. Please post what comments regarding:

What you like or dislike about online classes?
What technologies are used in your school?
What changes would you like see in your school’s online class offerings?

Nyles
www.socrategy.com

6 comments:

  1. The use of technology at my school is pretty broad but can be frustrating. We use Blackboard and it gets confusing to have a "section site" and a "class site." The resource collumns are all over the place, the "announcements" are repeated for over a month, and I've heard professors complain about how difficult it is to navigate. I think it would also be great to have a notification of new stuff posted on your class site sent to your email as wel..

    I'll keep thinking but this is the jist of my concerns.
    -BT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the convenience of my online classes. It's pretty great to "go to class" from my bedroom. The teachers are usually very interactive and easy to communicate with via email throughout the course.

    My school is technologically saavy - with online and hybrid courses, blackboard, and a fully interactive libary site.

    I wish my school offered more online offerings and raised the cap of students allowed in the classes. This semester, I was signed on to register for classes as soon as the site opened, but within minutes all the online classes were booked and I was unable to register for them. I was bummed

    Great blog!
    AK

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter is working full time and is a postgrad degree student. She wanted to take 2 online course this upcoming semester to avoid traveling at night during the winter months. She was closed out of both courses! How do institutions allow this to happen? Institutions are not constrained by classroom size and availability any longer. Simply add a new section and a few more TAs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Dr. Teicher,
    At FSU, they would probably say that online classes are very beneficial. I have done two online classes so far and they've both been really easy, yet educational classes. I feel that FSU knows that some classes can be taught online as a way to prevent the degree mill occurence

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having been a student of both on-location and online classes, and now working for a private school that is very much on location and the "hands-on" style of education, I appreciate both.  I think there is much room for the middle ground of augmenting physical learning with online learning and new technology to compensate for geographical barriers and offer supplemental materials. I enjoy many aspects of online learning, such as scheduling convenience, the ability to take in information in increments that suit your individual needs, as well as the ability to connect and unite people living great distances apart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The one hard thing about online classes that I think most would agree on is that you have to maintain a good amount of motivation. Since there's not a physical class that you're attending daily, you have to be the main motivator in setting aside time for the class. In that case technology is pretty much moot. But as far as the technologies go, I like that my school has a pretty well organized website that affords an easy way to navigate around. I think ease of access is what most of us are looking for.

    AA

    ReplyDelete